This experiment is looking at how people react to different building layouts. I have made two 3D “villages”, each with a different street plan. Both use the same set of free models found at this site and the same terrain generated by Terragen, so the only difference is how they are arranged.
The villages are presented as Shockwave files, which will need the latest Shockwave version installed (Director 11.5 unfortunately has no backwards comparability option available). To view them, do the following:
- Download the and extract 3D Villages zip file or go to this site here.
- In each folder there is a loading file, the shockwave file, and a html file. Open in the html file in your browser.
- If a message appears saying your Shockwave player is out of date, follow the instructions to update it or download it from the Adobe website (unlike the Flash player, this can be done without having to close or restart your browser and is a quick install).
- Once the movie has loaded, use the up and down arrow keys to move backwards and forwards and the left and right keys to turn. You cannot turn whilst moving. If the movie does not respond to the keys, click on the movie once to focus the browser on it (this is a mac-only bug as far as I can tell).
- The playback has deliberately been set at a slow rate to compensate for no collision detection. It is not to do with your computer (mac users may wish to set the 3D Render to “hardware” by using the right-click menu).
When you first open the movies, you begin in these positions (Village One on the left, and Village Two on the right):
As this experiment is investigating how the layout of a place affects a person’s inclination to stay and look around, I wish to know the following for each village (there is no set limit to how many times you can play the movies):-
- which one were you more interested in exploring? (those who may be unable to open the 3D can still answer this question by using the pictures above)
- which one did you spend the most time navigating?
- what your route was through each Village? (this only requires giving directions as “left” and “right. For those who would like to take the time, I have top-down views of both Village One and Village Two for you to draw your route on).
- highlight to read after you’ve been through Village One at least 3 times – how long and how many run-throughs did it take for you to realise there was a side-road about half way down the street?